Sunday, April 20, 2014

French Countryside -- Spring Break 2014

We just got home from an incredibly relaxing, off-the-grid (sorry if you were looking for us and couldn't find us), week in southern France.  It was SO nice to disconnect and just explore, eat lots of good food, take naps, read books, listen to the girls play and, or course, drink plenty of good French wine.

Here's a bit of the story, told in reverse again -- thank you Blogger.

This is taken from near the top of Queribus, which is one of the "Five Sons of Carcassonne." Carcassonne is the very large medieval castle and village in the region (now a world heritage sight) and the "Five Sons" being some of the other châteaus in the region.  I was of two minds the whole time we were up exploring the fortress, it was SO high up, everything was SO steep and the wind was incredibly violent but it was also incredibly cool and beautiful.
 I made it work -- though struggling with mild vertigo.
 She, on the other hand (like her sister), was carefree with not a worry in the world.

And for some perspective ...

The lovely family who invited us one the trip!  The acted as our official guides as they are a French-Catalan family.  It is really nice to travel with other families, we like it much more than we ever would have anticipated.
This is the still working mill in the village, Cucugnan, below Queribus.  We enjoyed a yummy snack before we trekked up to the château and bought the best bread we had during the whole trip -- which is really saying something!
Another of the châteaus in the area, so impressive.  The countryside is just littered with them!

We spent a lot of time relaxing around the house, which was impressive -- I mean both the amount of just relaxing that we did and the house itself.  Aine's quote was, "This is a really nice house and I like it here.  When I get bigger I am going to live here with Aoife and Julia." These three lovely little girls played happily all week, maybe they could make it work.
They found a "mascota" which literally translates to pet but can also be mascot.  Her name was Florentina Flor.  There were actually quite a few snails and other animals around that the girls followed and played with.  One afternoon we went on a nice, long hike in the area and discovered a series of pools that we waded in and where we "hunted" frogs and lizards.  We didn't have the camera along for that one but hopefully our companions will send along some pictures I can share soon.

 The girls practiced their skills using the camera a bit more on this trip, general silliness ensued.
The Aine.
The Aoife.
We headed out to the regional market one day and bought lots of great food.
 We got so lucky, the weather was PERFECT everyday, albeit a little windblown and sunny.
One of the market fresh meals, this was our BBQ night.  The area is known for its asparagus, it was delicious!

We did do a visit to Carcassonne one day.  It was really impressive.  I believe the quote from Aoife when we pulled into the parking lot was, "Holy crap!  You guys were right, I am impressed." -- Note:  Our child does not generally have a potty mouth, in fact, that's the first and only time I have ever heard her say that.  I guess she saves it for very special occasions.
 Looking pretty!
 Fantastic lunch, fantastic wine, great friends and one very cute Hubby!
 Between the inner and outer wall(s).
So impressive!  The castle is restored and it was really neat to see much of it how it would have been, with the wood fixtures and everything.  It wasn't my favorite though.  There is something a little more magical about the ones that are less restored for me.

Another day we went to the animal reserve nearby, Sigean.  The lions were by far the most impressive.
 After this I am, in all seriousness, ready to go on an African safari!
 Just to get an idea of how close we were.
The walking part of the park and our adorable little crew (Julia, Aoife, Violeta, Aine) -- Violeta was with us just for one day.
 We ate around the table together three meals a day, everyday.  It was lovely!
Taking in the sun on one of the two patios.  This one was adjacent to the kitchen and the open dining room pictured above.
 There were also three terraces, this one just off the girls' room.
All snuggled up, ready for bed.  I mean, there were only four beds in the room but the bottom bunk was the place to be.
And yes, we really did eat that much cheese, it was left out in this cupboard all day, everyday to breathe and I do think it was better for having done so!  Yum!

Adieu, France! Nous sommes revenus très bientôt! 

Bisous.

No comments: