Part of our busy visiting and working in the States was blessed by visits with family. In fact, it was a great summer in that regard. It was kicked off by a nice long visit with Grandma and Grandpa Koonce and finished with a visit from Grandpa Sean and Grandma Bernie! In between, we were hosted and spoiled by my family in Illinois and enjoyed some fantastic relaxation and beach time courtesy of Trish, Rob, Piper and their extended family. We couldn't really ask for more. It was really a fantastic summer!
A quick note - I come from some of the sweetest most wonderful people I've ever known and that's not just bias talking. My mom's family, the extended Fitzgerald clan, are kind and good the simple kinda good AND the thoughtful kinda good. I love them so much and am so proud to be a part of this family. I hope this is one of only many occasions my girls will get to spend time with this family and feel their love the way I have my whole life, no matter where I am or what I do.
Thank you! We love you!
The big girls with the little ones.
These are some of my younger cousins (there are 19 of us) with our girls. They were so good to our kids and Aoife and Aine LOVED being showered with all of the love and attention.
Aoife and James are standing just outside the "Indian Caves" along the Kankakee River that I used to hike to as a kid with my cousins, so many fond memories.
It was an absolute delight to visit there again with my own little nuclear family.
Fun with the big girls.
Did I mention my little girls were enamored with their big cousins?
Aoife sits with her darling cousin Natalie, who is 1 year younger than she is. They hit it off from the start.
So did they ... rock, rock, rocking together.
Sweet cousins.
On the last night we were with my family in Illinois Aine spent a little too much time being spun around in a chair and "pukey-pukeied" all over herself. I may have mentioned before that Aoife has an unnatural ability to spin-and spin- and spin (like until everyone else, including her sister is lying on the floor vomiting all over) they were sitting together and, well, poor little Aine just couldn't keep up. But she worked one of her grown-up cousins old little league shirts! Stinkin' cute!
Aoife loves this picture of her littlest cousin, Reagan, and her. These two little dolls are 2 of 5 great granddaughters (yes, all girls so far) on this side of the family.
Aine and Zachary playing piano together. He's qualified, going to be a music teacher ; ).
My girls and my grandma. I will treasure this picture always. My grandma is the wisest, kindest person I have ever met in my life. Again, no bias. I'm so glad my girls have gotten to spend some time with her.
The next time we visit I will insist on getting a picture of me with my aunts and of me with my cousins because as I look at these pictures now I regret now having done so this time 'round. Don't get me wrong, I love what I've got but as one of my beloved aunts said in a conversation I had with her: My sisters are my best friends. They've extended that to me, their often difficult and still learning and maturing niece. I'm grateful and I'd like to capture that sentiment with a picture. So, here's to next time -- may it not be too far in the future.
Thanks for everything. We love you!
After that visit we jetted on to Seattle to visit Trish, Rob and our absolutely darling new niece Piper. Rob's Aunt Val and her family treated us to an amazing getaway at their family beach house -- and I mean, AMAZING!
Practice for later. Land kayaking.
Oh, yes. Those crab pots did provide some delicious crab meat. Oh, yes.
The view from their deck. Did I mention this was amazing?!?
Heading down to the beach at low tide.
Not so sure.
Rearin' and ready to go (sort of).
Low tide here was great. We were able to walk pretty far out into where the water otherwise would have been and explore and find all kinds of fantastic little creatures and squish around in the sand and seaweed.
The girls.
Rob's Aunt Val (and Uncle Steve) took such great care of our girls while they visited the island. There was never a dull moment between bubbles, chalk, glow-stick and wands, campfires with s'mores, sea-kayaking, coloring rocks and shells with paint pens ... the list goes on. It was wonderful.
One of the highlights for the girls, which they still talk about fondly, was The Treasure Hunt! There were clues left about to lead them straight to their booty and they couldn't have been more delighted.
Checking out the goods.
How are our pirate faces?
Another highlight was meeting their new cousin, Piper. Aine has renamed her baby Piper, if that's any indication how impressed they were.
Some of the tasty crabs. I thought I had eaten fresh yummy crab before, I'm forever ruined after this experience. Wow.
The clan at Happy Hour (at the only establishment -- General Store+gas station+restaurant/gathering place on the island). Maybe it's not the best picture ever, but hey, it's Happy Hour.
Love.
We spent a lot of time here.
All ready for sea kayaking and sweet sign off.
As you can see, we had a great trip and were spoiled. You'll have to see our next post for a couple of cute, quick pictures with our Grandpa Sean because maximum picture capacity has been reached for this post.
See ya real soon.
XO,
Los Stuhan
1 comment:
OH OH THESE ARE SO WONDERFUL! I am going to cry.
Post a Comment